Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Nathaniel and I have been drawn towards the latest craze in extreme sporting...Frisbee. We of course plan to take our doubles team all the way to the top (is there Frisbee in the Olympics?) and thought we'd squeeze some practice in yesterday evening at the local park. Julian, so accustomed to the stale recycled air of the indoors, took 2.5 deep breaths of fresh air and promptly fell asleep. Like in the SciFi movies when the astronaut takes a step on an unchartered planet, removes his helmet, inhales cautiously and then cries "It's Ok, it's breathable!" and suddenly keels over. Kind of like that. Poor kid.

So we started out as many young couples would, zipping back and forth across the field, laughing at each other's antics and just full of pep in general. I'm not ashamed to admit I even turned a cartwheel or two. Or eight. As the evening progressed, however (and by "progressed," I mean half an hour later), we found ourselves slowing exponentially, and realized this astounding but true fact...We are not "in shape." Sure, I do my Turbo Jam dvd every so often (you have to do it at least twice a month to be able to technically say, "I work out") and God knows running after these kids keeps us busy, but when it comes right down to it, folks...We are pretty pathetic. Nathaniel is SHOCKED that marathon fishing has not given him a six-pack and buns of steel. By the end of our outing, we are standing within arms-length of each other, half-heartedly chucking that damnable disc and missing half the time anyway. Mr. Morrison is turning in his grave, I'm sure (http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa980218.htm).

So I'm thinking with some free time I have this morning, I'll cruise the Internet for the nicest local nursing homes. Time to face facts and realize dear bald Nathaniel and I are seventy-five and aging quickly. I've got to find a place that caters to our needs...gin rummy, Frisbee, and all the channels Nathaniel could ever dream to flip through. It's never too early to start shopping for a room with a view.

No comments: